The Nutrient-Rich Way of "Quick Steaming" Carrots is the best way to cook Carrots, and it only takes a minimal amount of time. Slice thin, they will be cooked in only 5 minutes.(Taken from page 219 of the 2nd Edition of the World's Healthiest Foods book.
Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 lb medium Carrots
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil (or to taste)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add 2 inches of water to the bottom of the steamer.
- While steam is building up in steamer, cut Carrots into 1/4-inch slices. Carrots cut thicker will take longer to cook.
- For al dente Carrots, steam, covered with a tight fitting lid,for not more than 5 minutes. They are fork-tender when they are done.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss Carrots with the remaining ingredients while they are still hot. Research shows that fat-soluble vitamins and carotenoids found in foods, such as Carrots, may be better absorbed when consumed with fat-containing foods like extra virgin olive oil.